University of Sydney Handbooks - 2013 Archive

Download full 2013 archive Page archived at: Mon, 20 May 2013 12:11:36 +1000

Postgraduate research

Doctor of Dental Science

(DDSc) EA000

Doctor of Philosophy

(PhD) EB000

Master of Philosophy

(MPhil) EC081

What is a research degree?

Research degrees are very different from coursework degrees in that the majority of work is self-directed study with supervision by a group of academics, working on a project that aims to make an original contribution to knowledge. Some degrees require a limited amount of coursework, but at least two thirds of the degree must be by research for the degree to be considered a higher degree by research.

Apart from any required coursework, the assessment of a research degree is through the examination of a thesis written by the student. The thesis is sent to a group of examiners and their recommendations form the basis for the outcome of the examination.

The three research degrees currently offered by the Faculty of Dentistry are the Master of Philosophy, the Doctor of Philosophy and the Doctor of Dental Science.

Governance, including the resolutions, or reference to where the resolutions for the postgraduate degrees by research can be found, are covered in this chapter. The information in this chapter provides a summary and is subordinate to the provisions of relevant degree resolutions.

Financial information about research degrees

Domestic students enrolled in the research degree programs such as the PhD or MPhil are financially covered under the Research Training Scheme (RTS) and are fee and HECS exempt provided these degrees are completed within a prescribed timeframe – eight (8) full-time semesters for a PhD and four (4) full-time semesters for a MPhil or their part-time equivalents (16 semesters and 8 semesters respectively). Students will be required to pay the University's Student Union Fees upon enrolment.

International students enrolled in research degree programs are required to pay up-front tuition fees to the University.

There are a number of scholarships available for domestic students to assist with living costs, and a limited number for international students.

Information about University-wide scholarships for domestic and international students can be found at

The scholarships database at also provides information on scholarships for both domestic and international students.

Further information for research students

Research support information relevant to research students can be found on The University Research Office Research Support website at

Theses: production and examination

Before commencing writing up their thesis, students are strongly urged to read The Thesis Guide published by the Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA), which can be found on the SUPRA website

Details on submitting a thesis for research degrees other than the DDSc can be found on the Faculty of Medicine's website

This website covers such information as options for thesis submission, timing of thesis submission, selection of examiners, types of thesis examination, preparing for submission of the thesis, the examination process, possible examination outcomes, appeals, deferment of public availability of theses, submission of corrected thesis and continuation of borrowing privileges after submission of the thesis.